Tuesday, January 5, 2010

15. Marked "Men"


In this semester, we have discussed the gender issue and told that women are marked, just because they are "women". Sexual harassment, the pressure of the desire of being beautiful, being under the dominance of men, are a few things almost all women live. But I want to say that, men are sometimes also marked. This reminded me of an incident I lived last year.

It was the second month after I got my driving license. I had an accident and hit to a taxi and it was completely my fault. I apologized to the taxi driver for many times and we called the police. When the police came, they shouted at the taxi driver, and acted like it was all his fault. It was obvious that he did not do anything, but they were very kind to me and absolutely rude to the man.

Another example to this kind of situation is that men are not allowed to go to a nightclub without the company of a woman. Of course the amount of men and women are important in a nightclub, but it is obvious that 10 women can go to any club, while 2 men can definetely not. Last week, we were 2 females+3 males, and they did not let us in. It is like they say to us: "We know that this +1 boy will get in and attack all the ladies in our club, because he is a man" It is like men always harass women unless there is a controller woman with them.

1 comment:

  1. Those are very, very good examples of society's discrimination against men. The nightclub thing is just absurd, and I've never seen that anywhere else but Turkey. Assuming men are animals is just purely prejudiced. The other thing is the 'aile salonu' where single men are not allowed - how ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete